Curaçao, a recognized international financial center, is the largest island of the Netherlands Antilles and is located in the southern part of the Caribbean.
Curaçao enjoys a high per capita income, a well-developed infrastructure, a secure economy, and a stable political environment. Quite a large number of investment, holding and finance companies have been established in Curaçao because of the location and the fiscal framework of the island.
There are several corporate structures available in Curaçao:
The N.V. (Naamloze Vennootschap) is a limited liability company that is able to engage in any lawful businesses, although some activities require a license. N.V.s are efficient and effective corporate vehicles used for holding assets as investments, intellectual property, and real estate. A few requirements are:
- At least one shareholder is required. This shareholder can be an individual or a corporate entity;
- One General Meeting of Shareholders must be held a year. This meeting must be held in the Netherlands Antilles;
- At least one managing director must be a resident in Curaçao. Managing directors can be individuals or entities;
- A registered office must be maintained in the jurisdiction;
- A minimum capital amount is needed for incorporation;
- Shares can be issued in registered or bearer form;
- Shareholder’s register is not open for public inspection.
The N.A.B.V. (Netherlands Antilles Besloten Vennootschap) is a private limited liability company. It is a flexible and modern corporation that can be managed by shareholders.
A few requirements are:
- There are no minimum capital requirements;
- Shares can only be issues in register form;
- The Company must keep a register of the shares;
- The Articles of Incorporation can be in any language.
The S.P.F. (Stichting Particulier Fonds) is a private foundation with any legal purpose. It is a legal entity with assets and liabilities. The Private Foundation is a special form of the conventional foundation, which is characterized by the following three essential differences:
- The Private Foundation can make contributions to its founders or third parties without any restrictions;
- Distributions made by a Private Foundation do not have to be of an idealistic or social nature;
- The Private Foundation is not allowed to conduct any type of business with a profit motive.
- Asset Protection
- Estate planning
- Income deferral
- Holding Company
- Investment Vehicle
The C.V. or Commanditaire Vennootschap is a limited partnership. This Limited Partnership is proven to be a valuable vehicle when structuring international corporate and private investments.
It is not a legal entity and is considered a transparent vehicle for corporate income tax purposes in the Netherlands Antilles.
In addition to the above mentioned corporate structures, the establishment of a company in the economic zone of Curaçao is possible. An economic zone is defined as a designated area in which, amongst other, international trade and trade supportive services may be performed supported by electronic communication and information equipment (e-commerce). Companies established in an e-zone must in principle be focused on trading or providing services to companies located outside Curaçao.
To obtain the e-zone status a request must be filed with the Department of Economic Affairs. New Haven e-Zone, in conjunction with e-Management N.V., will assist in the process to obtain this e-zone status.
For more information please contact:
HB Management N.V.
New Haven Office Center
Emancipatie Boulevard 31
P.O. Box 6052,